Thursday, August 9, 2012

Failure


Failure. 

Nobody likes the feeling.  Yet, we’ve all experienced it.  It is so hard to get up and get started once you’ve lost sight of your goal.  When the enchantment is gone, it’s hard to bring it back.  But here I am, trying to conger the magic again. 

I’ve been gone from my blog since April.  Right at the beginning of the A to Z challenge, I just…left.  What happen?  Did I get kidnapped by aliens?  Was I working on some super-secret project?   Could I have forgotten my blogger address???  What happened to Rebecca???

Uh… no.  I don’t have any kind of good excuse to why I gave up.  I have a few poor excuses.  First, I picked doing collages for the A to Z challenge.  Bad mistake.  A collage can be time consuming.   26 collages are VERY time consuming.  I did three.  Then we went on vacation.  Somewhere between sliding down the water slide and stuffing myself full of over-priced dinners, I gave up on those damn collages.  When I got home, after a week, I felt bad about giving up on the A to Z challenge.  So I just kind of gave up on writing.  It’s not a smart choice or a good one.  But it’s the choice I made.

What did I do during all that time?  I homeschooled my kids.  I worked.  I hung out with my friends, cooked huge dinners, and swam in the pool.  I took up running.  I wasted a lot of hours on Facebook.  Did I think about writing?  A little.  In all honesty, it was easier to put it out of my mind.  It was something I would do tomorrow.  Or the day after tomorrow.  Or next week. 

Now it’s August.  My work has suffered.  A lot.  Every month, every week, every day I don’t hammer away at this, I lose.  So today, I picked myself up and said.  “No more excuses.  No more failure.”

I am writing once again. 

1 comment:

  1. Don't be so tough on yourself, Rebecca. Everyone needs to take a break now and then. In fact, it's healthy. It's winning and not in a Charlie Sheen kind of way, LOL!

    ReplyDelete