Thursday, December 8, 2011

The ideas keep floating.... like snowflakes

I always try to make hand drawn holiday cards for my family and a few friends.  Since my day job is being an artist, people expect handmade cards.  I admit, I would love to do this for everyone I know, but if I did, I would be making Christmas cards ALL YEAR LONG.  It’s become a tiring task, and frankly, the last few years I have abandoned the Christmas card tradition.  I just don’t feel like drawing that much during the holiday season.
This year I got a great idea.  I’m just going to draw the cards, scan the images into the computer, and then print them off.  I can “hand color” the images at night, when I am watching Star Trek or something.  (Yes, I am a Trekkie.)  Maybe I’ll make my Editor color too.  Hehehe.  (For those who do not know, I am married to my editor.  We share the same family and friends.)  For the first time in many years, I am sending out cards. 
Now, I have this second idea.  What if I wrote a short-short to include with my cards?  I know they always have greetings and well wishes  included on the inside, but to me, that is so dull!  Of course I wish you well!  If I hated you, I wouldn’t be sending you a card.  Duh.  I think a neat little piece of short fiction would be so much better. I think this will be great. It won't take up too much time away from my novel, yet it will be a welcome break. 
So, that’s my project for the weekend.  I’m going to get started on these cards, ASAP!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds awesome! Good luck! I'm so bad about sending out Christmas cards.

    Yay, Star Trek! What's your favorite series? Are you more a fan of the original or one of the spinoffs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How inspired! I barely got the boxed cards in the mail this year...

    ReplyDelete