Tuesday, March 6, 2012

another one bites the dust

                I just finished a long story titled, “Grieving Parents.”  When I finish one project, the next thing I do is look at all my options for my next piece.  Are there any contest I can enter?  Any deadlines I can catch?  Well, in my search this morning, I went to Writer’s Journal website to check out their next contest.  I’ve been known to buy the magazine from time to time.  Once in awhile I try my hand at one of their prompts. 

                Well, never again.  When I looked their website this morning, I saw they will no longer be publishing their magazine.  This breaks my heart.  Another writing journal bites the dust. 

                This (sort of) surprises me.  Writer’s Journal was one of the bigger journals out there.   When I say “bigger” I mean that I could buy it at my local bookstore.  But, I guess in this economy, everything is up for grabs.  It’s horrible. 

                The future of writing is electronic.  We all know it.  From blogs to twitter fiction to kindles, writing is going away from the printed form.  I don’t like it, but I accept it.  In order to create, you got to work with technology, not against it. 

Rest in Peace, Writer’s Journal.  I will miss you. 



Here’s their webpage.

Here’s some bad news about the magazine industry. 

3 comments:

  1. That is sad. I participate online, but I love paper. Sitting on the sofa with a laptop just is not the same as sitting on a sofa with a book or magazine.

    ReplyDelete